The 2010 baseball season is coming to a close. Four teams are duking it out for a chance to play in the World Series. After watching a long, great season of baseball, let’s talk a little about 5 players that you need on your fantasy team next year. I’m not going to talk about the obvious guys like Pujols, Hamilton, A-Rod, etc.
1. Carlos Gonzales-OF-Rockies- Carlos Gonzalez was being drafted at an average draft position around 131 before the season last year and ended up the number 1 overall player in standard ESPN scoring. You were lucky if you took a chance on this guy. He finished in the top 3 in all of the triple crown categories and I think he will be an MVP in the next few years. He plays for a high octance offense and the stats will come easily. He is a five tool player in will be taken top 5 in all fantasy formats.
2. Buster Posey-C-Giants-The guy got called up on May 29th and finished the year at .305-18-67. That’s 2 months of missed baseball. Defensively, he’s not that bad behind the plate either. He has raw talent and seems like an old baseball soul trapped in young man’s body. He puts the ball in play only striking out 55 times in 406 AB’s. He needs to work on his batter’s eye to improve his OBP, but you have to remember it was his first year in the league facing pitchers he’s never faced before. The roof on his RBI chances are somewhat low playing for a team like the Giants who have leaned heavily on their starting pitching, but you still have to like his skills. The sky is the limit on this kid.
3. Robinson Cano-2B-Yankees-Can I say MVP? Move over Chase Utley, take a seat Robinson Cano. Robinson Cano is a stellar hitter. He hits for power, average, and scores a ton of runs. I still believe he hasn’t reached his full potential and next year will be the year. I think he hits over 30 homeruns playing in a hitter friendly park and has over 120 rbi’s. He will easily score over 100 runs also. His defense is top notch and he is very durable. This guy could be a borderline top 10 pick if he stole more bases.
4. Drew Stubbs-OF-Reds-This guy has lightning fast speed and can play excellent defense. He plays on a team with high offensive numbers and hits in front of a possible MPV candidate inMr. Joey Votto. He will get himself into scoreing position a lot, swiping 30 bags in 2010 and only getting caught 6 times. He will mature next year and I think he can easily steal 50 bases. He has some pop in his bat and probably will hit 30 homeruns in 2011. His average is a bit low but he turned it on towards the end of the year. If he can trim down his strikeout numbers and take some walks you better watch out for this guy. Extreme potential.
5. Billy Butler-1b-Royals-This guy has been one of the most consistent performers the past two years. He has a great eye, doesn’t strike out much, and can get a ton of hits. If he played for a better team I would say he could be a top 20 player. His power numbers are not quite there but ranks in the top 5 in doubles ever year. If the Royals could make a deal and surround him with some talent I think he could manage 115 rbi’s and hit 25 homeruns. I think he may also hit around .325 next year.